Volunteer for Us
The Blue Door Counselling Service
Our counselling service has been operating for over 30 years, supporting individuals affected by sexual violence or domestic abuse, across North or North East Lincolnshire. We currently have two town-centre locations, in Scunthorpe and Grimsby, each with two dedicated counselling rooms.
We are able to provide this service entirely through the commitment, dedication and generous efforts of our Volunteer Counsellors.
We are looking to recruit:
- Experienced counsellors who want to give something back
- Recently qualified counsellors who want to support their accreditation by counselling clients in an agency setting
- Students who are close to completing their training
Please note that this is a challenging environment. We support individuals with complex issues who may have experienced significant trauma. Many struggle to engage on a consistent basis and we cannot always guarantee a client will attend every week.
If you are looking for a placement or volunteering opportunity to just simply make up some hours or to look good on a CV, we are probably not right for you.
We are incredibly passionate about the work we do. Our clients are not just a number or a tick in a box; they are real people with real issues and we are privileged to support them on their journey. We expect our volunteers to display the same passion and enthusiasm.
In return for your commitment and support, The Blue Door provides:
- Core training covering a range of relevant topics
- A comprehensive induction to the work of The Blue Door
- An environment that supports your professional development with guidance and support from an experienced Counselling Co-ordinator, alongside regular Group Supervision with a qualified practitioner
- Access to free training and professional development.
- The opportunity to work alongside experts in the field of domestic abuse and sexual violence, and to gain experience in specialist work, such as pre-trial therapy and trauma-informed group work.
We take on volunteer counsellors as and when service need requires. All counsellors are subject to successful application, interview and completion of training.
If you have questions or would just like to chat to one of the team about the role of a Volunteer Counsellor, please give us a call on 0800 197 4787.