Our counselling service has been operating for over 30 years, supporting individuals affected by sexual violence or domestic abuse, across North or North East Lincolnshire. We currently have two town-centre locations, in Scunthorpe and Grimsby, each with two dedicated counselling rooms.
We are able to provide this service entirely through the commitment, dedication and generous efforts of our Volunteer Counsellors.
We are looking to recruit:
- Experienced counsellors who want to give something back
- Recently qualified counsellors who want to support their accreditation by counselling clients in an agency setting
- Students who are close to completing their training
Please note that this is a challenging environment. We support individuals with complex issues who may have experienced significant trauma. Many struggle to engage on a consistent basis and we cannot always guarantee a client will attend every week.
If you are looking for a placement or volunteering opportunity to just simply make up some hours or to look good on a CV, we are probably not right for you.
We are incredibly passionate about the work we do. Our clients are not just a number or a tick in a box; they are real people with real issues and we are privileged to support them on their journey. We expect our volunteers to display the same passion and enthusiasm.
In return for your commitment and support, The Blue Door provides:
- Two day Core Training with the renowned Zoe Lodrick, a recognised leader in the field of sexualised trauma.
- A comprehensive induction to the work of The Blue Door, delivered by the Chief Executive Officer of the organisation
- An environment that supports your professional development with guidance and support from an experienced Counselling Co-ordinator, alongside regular Group Supervision with a qualified practitioner
- Access to free training and professional development.
- The opportunity to work alongside experts in the field of domestic abuse and sexual violence
Due to specialist nature of the training, we have one intake of volunteers every year, with applications accepted up to mid-May, followed by core training in June
If you have questions or would just like to chat to one of the team about the role of a Volunteer Counsellor, please give us a call on 0800 197 4787